Criminal Defense Frequently Asked Questions

Colorado Criminal Attorney

Denver Criminal Defense FAQ Answers

What are my rights when arrested?

You have the right to remain silent, to hear the charges against you, to hire a Denver criminal attorney, and to present evidence on your behalf. You also have the right to not be subject to unreasonable search and seizure or cruel and unusual punishment. If your rights were violated in any way, your lawyer may be able to have the evidence against you withheld from trial.

While arrested, what should I do?

Answer all questions about your identity, but nothing else. Tell the police you are taking advantage of your right to remain silent and want to speak with a Denver criminal lawyer before you make any statements.

Should I answer police questions later on?

Maybe, maybe not. First speak with your attorney before you decide to speak to the police.

When the police don’t read me my rights, that means the case can be dropped, right?

No. It only means what you say during the arrest cannot be used as evidence. However, if this is the majority of evidence against you, then the case may be dropped due to insufficient proof.

I can get a public defender for free, so why should I select a for-profit Denver criminal attorney?

There is nothing wrong with using a public defender, but anyone who can afford their own lawyer will find themselves a lot better off with someone who has the time and resources to develop the strongest possible case

Should I get an attorney if I plan to plead guilty?

Absolutely. If your rights were violated, your Denver criminal attorney may be able to have the charges against you reduced or dropped, meaning there is no reason to plead guilty to the full charges. This is something you cannot do on your own.

Secondly, you will likely not be able to negotiate a plea bargain without legal representation. When you work with an attorney like those available at The Law Offices of Denver's Criminal Attorney, you can be certain you will get the minimal possible sentencing through the strongest plea bargain for your situation.